I have never been a hug fan of all thing preppy until recently. Probably due to the fact that I never really hung out with the prepsters growing up, as I was more of a black t shirts and alternative/heavy metal grunge type back in the day. But as I get older and try to wear more timeless clothes, and shop less “fast fashion” I am finding much to like in simple, preppy items that I constantly love and rewear season after season. Of course I do feel the need to “de-prep” my outfits a bit by throwing on some studded bracelets, heavy wood necklace or red orange lipstick, so maybe it is more of a “preppy hybrid”.
Preppy Things I already own that I love
1. Sperry Denim/Patent Top siders: I purchased these on sale a few years ago and they have quickly become my go to daily shoes. I am always partial to slip on shoes, but for me the denim fabric combined with blue patent leather is a great update to a familiar shoe.
2. LL Bean French Sailor’s shirt (also written about here)
3. LL Bean Lobster Flip Flops: Just love. Was afraid these were too pink when they arrived in the mail, since I was expecting the straps to be more red, but after one wearing I loved them. Easy to throw in the wash when the straps get a little dirty.
4. LL Bean duck boots: Perfect for running around NYC in the rain laced up over a pair of skinny jeans. I got this pair on Ebay and they are labeled “MOM” on the bottom which is kind of funny.
5. White Jeans: Are white jeans preppy? I am going with yes. I got this pair of white Citizens of Humanity at m.a.e. right here in Park Slope.
My preppy wish list
2. Sperry Boat Shoe Boots: Saw a pair of these in a consignment store but sadly they were a half a size too small and I have been unable to locate online. They were basically a Sperry top sider bottom with a top like a pair of duck boots. Anybody know how to find these shoes?
3. Vera Bradley Large Duffle in Chanticleer: I LOVE the chickens! I really only like the retired Vera Bradley patterns, which is fine since I just look on Ebay.
4. Another LL Bean boat and tote: Thinking of getting a small open top bag with navy blue trim.
7. Low Rise Duck Boots: Back to Ebay to find the perfect pair. (I am trying to be animal friendly and buy leather goods second hand.)
8. LL Bean French Sailor’s Shirt again: It will be twice as nice to have two! This one will be the cream/navy color combo.
9. Navy blazer with gold buttons: Love the shrunken schoolboy blazer from JCrew.